How fun are these mini polenta crust pizzas? I’m always looking for new ways to alter my favorite recipes. Pizza being one of them! I love how pizza crusts are so versatile, they can be made out of many different ingredients (cauliflower, pita bread, portabello mushroom caps etc) and give your pizza a whole new taste and feeling. I recently discovered polenta, and had been wanting to try making a polenta pizza crust for a while. Of course as I’m new to the polenta game, I didnt realize if I wanted to make a full crust I would need to make it from scratch, not buy it out the tube. Opps! oh well, that’s a project for next time!
I just decied to make mini pizzas with the sliced poletna rounds instead. As I had both pesto and tomato sauce in the fridge, I decided to make half with Pesto and the other half with tomato sauce, which made for a nice flavor contrast! ..Although if I had to pick the pesto might win out! I ate about half of them as a a full meal, but these could be made for appetizers as well!
- Polenta tube
- 1/4 cup avocado oil (Olive oil will work just fine too)
- 1/3 cup pesto
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 3 cups mushrooms
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- a pinch of Rosemary
- Cheese – 4 cheese italian blend
- Gorgonzola chese crumbles
- Goat cheese crumbles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-Heat the oven to 400 degrees
- Slice Polenta tube into thin 1/4 inch slices
- Pour half the avocado oil into a large frying pan and turn heat on medium
- Place half the poletna slices into the pan to lightly cook them, 5 minutes on each side
- Repeat preocess with the other half of the poletna slices untill all slices have been cooked
- In another skillet saute the sliced mushrooms with water, minced garlic, a pinch of rosemary and a dash of salt
- Transfer the polenta slices to a lined baking sheet, lightly press down to slightly flatten the poletna slices, and place in the oven for 10 minutes
- Remove the poletna slices from the oven and top with pesto and or your tomato sauce, mushrooms, and cheese (all three varieties were used)
- Place mini polenta pizza back into the oven for 15-20 minutes and until the cheese has melted
- Removes from the oven, serve and Enjoy!