As I was browsing Pinterest today looking for dinner ideas I stumbled upon this delicious looking Pesto soup by Isa Chandra on Post Punk Kitchen! As I can’t ever make any recipe the exact way someone else makes it, I of course made it my own! I love that this amazing creamy soup is vegan and healthy.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head cauliflower (about a pound), leaves removed, cut into florets
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash of thyme
- Black pepper
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves
- 8 oz gnocchi
- 1 15 oz can northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups mushrooms
- 1 large handful spinach
- Preheat a 4 quart stock pot over medium heat. Saute garlic in olive oil for about a minute, being careful not to let it burn.
- Add cauliflower, 4 cups of broth, salt, thyme and several dashes fresh black pepper.
- Cover pot and bring to a boil, stirring every now and again for about 10 minutes, or until cauliflower is tender.
- Add the basil leaves, and remove from heat.
- Pour soup into the Vitamix or use an immersion blender and blend until smooth.
- In a small pan, sauté the mushrooms until soft
- Return to the stove over medium heat and add the gnocchi, cover and let cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the Mushrooms, Northern Beans, Spinach until the spinach is completely wilted and beans are heated through, about 5 more minutes.
- Taste for salt and seasoning.
(Find the original recipe at http://www.theppk.com/2011/04/pesto-soup-with-gnocchi-beans-greens)