I have been thinking about making this cauliflower quinoa fried ‘rice’ all week! Mentally checking off that the necessary ingredients were stocked, salivating over the impending deliciousness to come during spin class this afternoon, and finally enjoying the end result!
Fried Rice is something I usually only get when I’m out for Chinese food or at those Japanese Hibachi restaurants. Generally it’s something of special treat or indulgence, but this is a healthy recipe I could eat all day long! The best part, is that it’s actually good for you, it’s full of healthy nutrients and protein, via the quinoa, as well as as many veggies as you want to throw in! I used what I like, but feel free to just use this as a jumping off point and add whatever veggies you like! The more ways you can incorporate vegetables into your diet the healthier you will be! I love that the ‘rice’ portion of this meal is actually a vegetable and protein filled grain, not a starchy white carbohydrate!
This is definitely a feel good meal!
- 1 small Cauliflower (riced)
- 3 cups cooked Quinoa, I used tri-color
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 2 stalks Green Onion
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 cups Mushrooms, roughly chopped
- Large handful Broccoli, roughly chopped
- I cup carrots, diced
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 TBSP fresh Ginger
- Cilantro for added flavor
- Sesame oil, a few splashes, probably 3-4 TBSP
- Soy sauce, a couple swirls, yes I’m making up my own cooking terms.. Going to need a glossary to keep track
- Siracha sauce, if desired!
A. Cook the quinoa, I used my leftovers from the previous night, which made the process much quicker!
1. Mince the garlic, ginger, chop the onions, and sauté them in a large pan with a tbsp of sesame oil
2. As the onions start to appear translucent, add in the chopped mushrooms, carrots and broccoli to begin to cook along with a splash of soy sauce
3. Meanwhile roughly chop the cauliflower, and add 2 cups worth at a time into the Vitamix blender on the lowest speed, and using the dowel, push the cauliflower into the blades to ‘rice’ it. Once all the cauliflower has been finely grated into rice size pieces, you can transfer it and the cooked quinoa into a large sauce pan or wok
4. Add the eggs to the veggie mixture and allow them to cook thoroughly
5. As the ‘Rice’ aka cauliflower and quinoa combination is heating up, add a tbsp or two of the sesame oil and a swirl of soy sauce to the pan
6. Once the veggie mixture and eggs are completely cooked, transfer them into the pot or wok with the ‘Rice’ and stir together, add in cilantro and Siracha if desired!
7. Allow ingredients to heat for a few more minutes until pipping hot
8. Serve and enjoy!